“In the beginning, God”
The worldview of “Christian Theism” is a Biblical Christianity. It is not a cultural Christianity, but a belief system based on the teachings of the Bible
Here is Christian Theism in a nutshell:
God created the universe. He made a special place where he created man, in his own image. Man was created good, and to live forever with God. Man and God were designed to live together in harmony.
Man was created with a free will. Because of that, man learned to do evil, to sin, and so man fell. Although we wanted to do good and had the ability to do good, we often chose evil. This separated us from God. Instead of harmony with God, we were in discord with God and with each other. In addition, when people died, they lived separate from God and his goodness forever and in torment. God instructed us how to live so God could bless us, by giving us a unique set of laws, but it was primarily designed to show us that we will always fail at trying to be good.
Out of a heart of love, God made a way for us to be good again. He sent himself, as the Son of God, to be just like us, yet just like God as well. The Son of God sacrificed himself in a way that we could be good in God’s eyes and live in harmony with him in this life, and in the next.
Since God has made us good in his eyes, we want to do good. We learn to do good by learning about God’s character. At the end of life in this physical world, we go to a spiritual world of either torment or life, based on whether we accept the sacrifice of the Son of God or not.
One day, the Son of God will return and judge the entire world. Those who have believed and accepted him and his sacrifice will live forever with him. Those who don’t believe will live in a tormented eternity apart from him.
The Questions that define Christian Theism:
- What is prime reality – the really real?
- God, who is infinite, personal, all-knowing, transcendent, all-powerful, good, and present everywhere at the same time. God is a triune God, consisting of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit
- What is the nature of external reality, that is, the world around us?
- God designed and created the universe from nothing. The universe consists of both a spiritual part and a physical part. Both God and man are able to affect changes in the universe, but God is ultimately more powerful.
- What is a human being?
- Humans are created in the image of God and possess a personality, intelligence, morality, creativity, and a desire for fellowship
- What happens to a person at death?
- At death, we either go to heaven or hell based on our acceptance of God and the sacrifice of the Son of God
- Why is it possible to know anything at all?
- We can know the world around us because we were created in his image. Although we may not be able to know all things, we have the capacity to know some things. God has given us the curiosity to know and the ability to understand. God also sometimes gives man special knowledge directly from God.
- How do we know what is right and wrong?
- We know what is right and wrong because God has put right and wrong in our hearts and has also given us special revelation of what is right and wrong. Because God is good, we want to be good as well because we want to be with God.
- What is the meaning of human history?
- History leads from creation toward the ultimate destiny and purpose for mankind envisioned by God. We can either participate in God’s purpose or fail to do so.